If I am a disciple to any prophet, it would have to be to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Here are seven quotes that I keep coming back to that summarize for me why the work we do at Help A Mother Out is relevant to economic justice. What’s your favorite MLK Jr. quote? Feel free to add yours below.
- “True compassion is more than flinging a coin to a beggar. It comes to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring .”
- “The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood.”
- “There is nothing new about poverty. What is new is that we now have the techniques and the resources to get rid of poverty. The real question is whether we have the will.”
- ”History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.”
- “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
- “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear. “
- “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”