Giving back in our communities is such an easy (and addictive!) thing to do. As we look forward to the holiday season, we wanted to give YOU ideas on how you can become a HAMO philanthropist before the end of the year.
Here’s our Top 10:
- Host a diaper drive to benefit us. Check out our toolkit to help you get started with ideas. Your drive, large or small, makes a difference!
- Just say NO to that sweater-or-tie-you-will-never-wear this holiday season. If you’re the person who has everything, consider requesting a monetary donation to HAMO in lieu of gifts.
- Double your diapers at the office. Check with your HR department to see if your employer has a workplace matching program. Small business owner? Designate a portion of your sales for a week or month to benefit our cause.
- Get competitive at the office. Why not do a diaper challenge with another department? Diaper raising can be a fun team building exercise, especially during the holidays. It’s also a great alternative to “Secret Santa”.
- Planning your annual holiday party? Request on the invitation that your guests bring diapers, or let them know you’re requesting “diaper dollars” as entrance fee into the party.
- Start a family tradition. Teach your kids about giving back. Brainstorm on creative ways you can give back as a family. Idea: challenge your kids to collect loose change from around the house, then offer to match the “diaper dollar” amount. Remember to document the experience for the family photo album.
- Set up automatic social investing. $20 each month for 12 months buys the equivalent of 12 weeks worth of diapers for one baby.
- Belong to a place of worship? Suggest your congregation collect “change for a change” along with tithing.
- Ask your friends to diaper a baby for one week. Send a call to action email to your friends, explaining why you support bringing diapers to families who need them. A $20 donation buys one baby a week’s worth of diapers. Just think of your own donation amplified, just by asking your friends to match!
- Think ahead to 2011. Remember, you can help a mother out, year round. As you plan for next year, consider hosting a diaper drive or benefit and add to your new year’s resolutions.
Did we miss any ideas? We’d love for you to inspire us by posting your ideas below.
If you’ve been following us for awhile you know we’re a mom-run, lean and mean organization. Yourinvestment makes a direct impact on the lives of families and children who lack diapers on a daily basis. Our partnership with the community is what continues to make our mission a success. Remember, it takes a village. Thank you for being part of it!
Photo credit: Nina Naylor (http://www.ninanaylor.com/)