I think it’s safe to say that our May Diaper Donation Drive was a smashing success: In one month, our supporters donated 15,000 diapers to families in need, plus thousands of travel-sized toiletries and baby wipes. For reference, the photo above shows about 1,500 diapers collected just from drop bins at Natural Resources and SadieDey’s Cafe. Ten times that number is a veritable mountain of diapers. Thanks to the ease of Amazon wishlists, generous folks from around the country were able to participate by simply pointing, clicking, and donating diapers directly to the agency of their choice. In San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose, busy parents took time out of their days to drop off diapers and other supplies at collection bins that were frequently overflowing.
We at Help A Mother Out have been awed and overwhelmed by the response to what began as a modest Mother’s Day donation drive. When we first set up Amazon.com wishlists for a couple agencies in the San Francisco Bay Area, we had no idea that we would garner supporters statewide, let alone nationwide; we had no idea that we would tap into an inspiring, energizing network of folks across the stateand the country advocating on behalf of poor families; we had no idea we would recruit allies and volunteers from around the world to help us help some mothers out.
Our heartfelt thanks go out to everyone who donated and spread the word, and especially to the following cheerleaders, collaborators, and co-conspirators:
- Sarah Gibbs (San Jose) and Alicia Rizzo Soriano (San Diego)
- Briar Levit of BriarMade for our awesome logos
- Julie aka Tangobaby, photographer extraordinaire
- Steve Walker, bin procurement, schlepper, flyer dude
- Jen Shim; Deldelp Medina; Rita Hao; Andi Zeisler; Colleen Rivecca
- Xavier the X-Man
- Bret, Rosie, & Mel of KGO AM810 Radio Afternoon Show
- All the organizations
- SadieDey’s Cafe, Oakland
- Natural Resources, San Francisco
- Avalon Communities, South Bay
- Holt Hinshaw for donating storage
- Our friends & family