“A society in crisis should not throw women, children, and seniors overboard first.” ~ California Assemblymember Noreen Evans
This week there does not seem to be a whole lot of media coverage regarding the Governor’s proposed program cuts. Thank you San Jose Mercury News and the Los Angeles Times for practicing real journalism and covering the story.
Are you a parent who will be directly effected IF the state’s safety-net programs CalWORKS orHealthy Families are CUT out of the budget? Please TELL US YOUR STORY by posting a comment HERE (you can post anonymously). We want to hear REAL STORIES from REAL FAMILIES on how this will directly change your life.
Per California Assemblymember Noreen Evans’ budget blog, here is a partial list of services that will be effected should the cuts happen:
· Elimination of the CalWORKs program;
· Elimination of the Healthy Families Program;
· Eliminating certain Medi-Cal state-only programs;
· Elimination of community based services programs at the Department of Aging;
· Eliminate State funding for Community Care Licensing;
· Elimination of remaining General Fund for Maternal, Child, and Adolescent Health;
· Elimination of funding for community clinic programs, such as Rural Health Services and the Seasonal and Agricultural and Migratory work programs;
· Elimination of funding for drug treatment programs established by the voters through Proposition 36;
· Reducing in-home supportive services eligibility and care provider pay;
· Reducing funding for foster care rates; and
· Reducing SSI/SSP monthly payments benefiting the aged and disabled to the minimum allowed under federal law.
Dear readers, please forward this post to anyone who may want to share their story.